Valentia Heritage Centre
    Ionad Oidhreachta Dairbhre
  Knightstown, Valentia Island, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Home Plan Your Visit Exhibits About Valentia Membership Shop News

Valentia Heritage Centre News

The Centre is now open for the 2008 season. Over 2,700 visitors were welcomed during the 2007 season, and many encouraging comments were made.

New displays include a copy of maps of each Valentia town land, with family names dating back to 1841. Donated by the Knight of Kerry, Adrian Fitzgerald, this is displayed at the Centre in a hand-crafted wooden case.

Mr Frank Cullen has loaned for display some of his portraits of local characters from the Island.

The Committee offers it sincere thanks to all who have donated artifacts and memorabilia to the Centre, and welcomes the active participation of anyone who would like to get involved. The Annual General Meeting will be held at the Royal Hotel on February 27th, at 8pm.

September 2nd, 2007. Heritage week in Ireland has just concluded. On Friday the Heritage Centre presented a guest speech on the Skelligs in St. John's Church of Ireland, which was attended by about thirty people.

On Saturday we had a guided walk in the bog near St. Brendan's Well, with a look at the flora and fauna, and about twenty attended.

On Sunday the Centre had an open day and received 124 visitors. The ladies of the Centre baked, and tea and coffee were served free from 10.30 to 5. On view were: a book of 1851 maps presented by the Knight of Kerry; a selection of hand-painted pictures of deceased Valentia people kindly given by a Dublin man with a holiday home on Valentia; and a beautiful picture of the signatures of the cable agreement on loan for the day from a Canadian lady with a holiday home on Valentia.

Summer 2007. The Centre had a face lift, thanks to the work of many volunteers and local craftsmen. Inside the building, new window blinds have been installed to protect the displays from the sun, and the Reception area has been reorganized. Outside, the building has been painted, window frames have been varnished, a new sign is in place, new paths of local slate have been laid, and flower boxes have been mounted on the walls.

A view of the front of the Centre, showing the
fresh paint, flower boxes, and new local slate path

Contact Site Map Search Links
Site content copyright © 2007 Valentia Heritage Centre and its contributors.
Webmaster: Bill Burns @ Last site update: 4 August, 2008